Guide for a day
Join a group tour
Cooking with Cubans
Cooking with Cubans
Learn how to cook traditional Cuban dishes with locals
With all the hip gourmet restaurants now popping up all over Havana, there is still nothing like the traditional Cuban flavors of a home cooked meal. This hands-on cooking demonstration will treat you not only to one of the best Cuban meals you’ll experience on your trip, but you’ll come home with the skills to impress your friends and family with your mastery of comida Cubana.
- Visit a local agropecuario (farmers market) and bodega (ration store)
- Learn about the recent economic reform and how it affects the Cuban household
- Learn about local foods and how to select the best ingredients
- Hands on demonstration to prepare traditional Cuban dishes
- Enjoy a delicious meal and drink
Service are OFAC compliant under the general license “Support for the Cuban people” 515.574
From our meeting point at a family-owned casa particular (guesthouse), we visit nearby farmers markets (agropecuarios) to purchase ingredients for our meal. Our local English-speaking guide will take you on short walk through the neighborhood to visit the various types of stores that Cubans visit to purchase food and explain to you the complicated currency system and how the Cuban family navigates the system.
Accompanied by our chef, you’ll learn about local produce and how it is selected and its uses in Cuban cuisine.
With our grocery shopping complete, we’ll return to the casa to prepare a delicious meal with our expert cocineros who season their meals with love and lots of laughs!
Depending on seasonality and availability of ingredients, you’ll learn to make traditional dishes like ropa vieja, fried pork, ajiaco (stew), black beans, tostones, platanos maduros, and yuca con mojo. Finally, you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor – time to eat!
A delicious meal, a mojito or Cuba Libre, and great conversation with your hosts will leave you with happy memories of your stay in Havana. Buen provecho!
- Duration: 3 hours
- Meeting and Ending point: Focsa building, 17th street, corner of M street. Vedado, Havana. Meeting point is in the main building’s lobby.
- Start/Finish time: 10:00 A.M - 1:00 P.M
- Availability: Tuesday to Sunday (Does not run on Jan 01 or Dec 25)
- Language: English or Spanish
- Child policy: Child friendly experience
- Inclusions: Professional English-speaking guide, local chef, meal and drink, printed recipes to take home
- Exclusions: Transportation to and from meeting point, food and drinks not specified above, tips/gratuities
- Group size: Minimum 2 Maximum 12
WE ARE HONEST AND OPEN - Each tour is guided by one of our expert local Cuban tour guides who can also explain to you some aspects of the Cuban society and culture and tell you about life in Havana. Our local Cuban tour guides are honest in their answers to any questions you have about Cuba and it’s people, history, and politics.
We run these small group tours and shore excursions of Havana every day. There is a set departure time for each tour, and you join a group of up to a total of 12 participants with one of our local Havana guides.